Where's the smart money?

Steven M. Bellovin smb at research.att.com
Mon Feb 11 18:43:49 EST 2002

In message <F504A8CEE925D411AF4A00508B8BE90A01E90C2C at exna07.securitydynamics.co
m>, "Trei, Peter" writes:
>That's the scenario which is (semi) worrying. As
>the tagged bills wear, some fraction of the RFID
>transponders will inevitably fail. When this happens,
>is the bill declared invalid? Will merchants regularly
>check all incoming cash for a good tag? Is a bill
>with a bad tag presumed to be counterfeit? Can
>it be exchanged?

I can't speak for other countries, but the U.S. already has
well-defined procedures for trading in damaged currency.  For example,
if you have >3/5 of the bill, you get full value; between 2/5 and 3/5,
you get half-value; below that, you get nothing.  I believe that such
exchanges can be done at any bank, though I could be wrong about that.

Anyway -- I'd assume that similar procedures would be put in place for
tagged bills.  Validation might inlude a waiting period to see if the
tag corresponding to that serial number shows up.

		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com