Security, Cryptography and Privacy Track in PODC 2003: Tutorials and (updated) CFP

Amir Herzberg amir at herzberg.name
Wed Dec 18 06:57:54 EST 2002

Dear Colleagues,

Please note that the deadline for submitting to PODC 2003, and in
particular to the special track on Security in Distributed Computing, is
rapidly approaching - Jan 31, 2003. This event is an excellent opportunity
for interaction between the security, cryptography and distributed
computing communities, and I hope many of you will send excellent
submissions and of course participate. PODC will be held on Sunday July
13th - Wednesday July 16th, 2003, in
Boston, Massachusetts.

The registration fee includes two interesting pre-conference tutorials on
Sunday, July 13. Both are on very active areas in security in distributed
computing: Incentives and Internet Computation by Joan Feigenbaum and Scott
Shenker, and
Content Protection Technologies by Jeffrey B. Lotspiech, Tushar Chandra,
and Donald E. Leake Jr..
Abstracts are included below, and can also be found, with bios of the
speakers, from the webpage: http://www.podc.org/podc2003

Expect lively discussion on these and other issues related to security and
privacy in distributed systems, following these tutorials, as well as our
very special invited speakers on security: Ross Anderson (U. of Cambridge),
Butler Lampson (Microsoft), and Silvio Micali (MIT), all of which are known
for their sometimes conflicting but always interesting views.

This year, PODC will also feature a series of lectures illustrating and
celebrating the impact of the work of Michael Fischer, in honor of his
sixtieth birthday, by: Leslie Lamport, Microsoft, Nancy Lynch, MIT, Albert
Meyer, MIT, and Rebecca Wright, Stevens Inst. of Tech.. Topics are not
announced yet but considering the speakers, I am sure these presentations
will also be of interest to crypto/security folks.

So, please participate and submit and encourage others to do so; e.g.
please post the CFP in relevant forums. PODC especially encourages student
participation, and a prize will be given to the best student paper; we may
be able also to partially sponsor some of the students participating and
presenting, depending on budget.

PODC'03 received generous support from Microsoft and Sun Microsystems. If
you are interested in making additional contributions, possibly for
sponsoring a specific purpose, please contact the general chair, Elizabeth
Borowsky, borowsky at cs.bc.edu (Boston College).

Looking forward to your submissions and to see you in PODC 2003!

Amir Herzberg
http://amir.herzberg.name