Micropayments, redux

Pete Chown Pete.Chown at skygate.co.uk
Tue Dec 17 05:58:00 EST 2002

David Wagner wrote:

> Yes, but the probability of it being significantly worse than I claimed
> (i.e., by more than a factor t) is exponentially small (in t).  One can
> easily calculate concretely exactly what the risk curve looks like.
> I'll spare everyone the details and just say that I see no reason why
> this should be a showstopper in practice.

Actually I think it may be a showstopper in practice for rather
different reasons -- people's behaviour when exposed to risks is rather
odd.  The British lottery, for example, pays on average £0.50 for each
£1 ticket.  No one would buy a 50p piece for £1, but people will buy an
expected win of 50p for £1.  People worry more about their children
being the victim of a paedophile than getting run down by a car.  People
worry more about the tiny risk from the measles vaccine (if it is a risk
at all) than about the risk of dying in a measles epidemic.

I don't know which way the psychology would work in this case.  Would
people be put off buying content by the small chance of paying a high
price?  Alternatively, would they enjoy the gamble, and the fact that
most of the time they would get content free?  I think it may be the
former, because the protocol is like the lottery in reverse.  The
lottery promises you a small chance of a big win.  This micropayment
scheme gives you the small chance of a relatively big loss.

There is also the risk that the system could be classed as an illegal
lottery in some jurisdictions.

--
Pete