PGPfreeware 8.0: Not so good news for crypto newcomers

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Dec 10 12:25:12 EST 2002

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 15:10:05 +0000, Nicko van Someren said:

> Unix and PGP user I think that the GUI on PGP 8.0 will save me an hour
> of effort over the lifetime of the product, which means it saves me
> money in the long run.

As long as PGP Corp has the same assumption about the lifetime as you.
Recently a lot of users made a bad experience with NAI and PGP.
Nobody knows what will happen after the VC has been burnt ;-)

So please have a close look at PGP that it will always comply with the
OpenPGP standard and that it does not get away with proprietary and
undocumented extensions again.  I am confident that PGP Corp will do a
much better job than NAI in this regard.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner