Peppercoin

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Mon Dec 9 15:30:03 EST 2002

Peppercoin is Rivest's lottery-settlement system for micropayments.

You effectively write 10,000 checks for a hundred dollars, and only redeem
one of them at random.

Like checks themselves, you need iron-clad is-a-person credentials to make
it work. As such, it's ideal for banks and PayPal, to whom they should sell
themselves once they prove their stuff works in the market. Like central
banks, national stock exchanges, and PayPal :-), you need a hierarchical,
category-killer economies-of-scale market plan to make it prevail, c.f. J.
Pierpont Morgan's line about "ruinous competition" when he was
"Morganizing" 19th-century American railroads.

I also, and sincerely, wish them luck. Like James Brown, Ron is the hardest
working man in cryptography, financial or otherwise.

Of course, for micropayments themselves, I only like stochastic methods for
process control. For instance, random samples for double-spending in a
streaming cash application.

Cheers,
RAH

--- begin forwarded text