PGPfreeware 8.0: Not so good news for crypto newcomers

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Dec 9 00:07:16 EST 2002

"Richard Johnson" <rdump at river.com> writes:

>To my dismay, the developers of gnupg chose to embed the command line
>processing deep in their software, making doing a proper library-supported
>GUI more difficult.  This was the same mistake that made PGP 2 such a bear to
>port, etc.  I wish I had the time or skill to fix that, but the reality is I
>simply don't have either.

There are other PGP libraries available.  The Veridis Filecrypt SDK,
http://www.veridis.com/products/FileCryptSDK/fcsdk.asp, is a commercial
offering which uses the OpenPGP format, and my own cryptlib,
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/cryptlib/index.html, is available under
the Sleepycat license (GPL or commercial, your choice).  You can modify it in
any way you like, although if you want to do things with it long-term, you may
want to wait until the next release, I rewrote a lot of the lower-level PGP
code recently.

Peter.