[mnet-devel] Ditching crypto++ for pycrypto (fwd)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Dec 2 13:19:17 EST 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 12:25:39 -0500
From: Zooko <zooko at zooko.com>
To: mnet-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [mnet-devel] Ditching crypto++ for pycrypto

I have to admit that Crypto++'s build/port problems suck, a lot.  I still have a
weird fondness for it (Stockholm Syndrome?).

One feature is that Crypto++ is going to be adopted by the OSAF, which means it
will be supported even better than it is now (including new Python wrappers),
and might also mean that OSAF would throw money at someone who maintained good
Python wrappers for them.

Requirements for backwards compatibility with v0.6:

 * DES-X, CTS mode (Hal Finney has contributed a patch that will implement this
   on OpenSSL)
 * RSA, OAEP (we have OAEP, or something much like it, implemented in Python)
 ?

Things I want in the future:

 * Rijndael
 * CBC mode
 * SHA-1 (provided in Python Standard Library, of course, but using the crypto
   libraries version might be faster due to closer binding to other crypto
   computations)
 * SHA-512
 * Rizzo's forward erasure code (Wei Dai has said he would consider integrating
   it with Crypto++ and supporting it, but again it doesn't *need* to be part of
   the crypto library)
 * integration with system random pools

--Z