Quantum computers inch closer?

Ed Gerck egerck at nma.com
Fri Aug 30 16:30:42 EDT 2002

bear wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>

> >[I don't know what to make of this story. Anyone have information? --Perry]
> >
> >Quantum computer called possible with today's tech
> >http://www.eet.com/story/OEG20020806S0030
> >
> ..
> The papers I've been reading claim that feistel ciphers (such as
> AES, DES, IDEA, etc) are fairly secure against QC.
>
> But I don't see how this can be true in the case where the
> opponent has a plaintext-ciphertext pair.
> I'm not a quantum physicist; I could be wrong here.  In
> fact, I'm probably wrong here.  But can anyone explain
> to me *why* I'm wrong here?

I'm a quantum physicist. Your argument is good but it has
nothing to do with quantum physics. The claim that feistel
ciphers are fairly secure against QC has to do with a
complex calculation that has no counterpart in a physical
system that could be used to "calculate" it. Not that the
calculation is not possible, but that it cannot be efficiently
transposed to a QC. Other ciphers may be a lot easier in this
regard  -- for example, there is a good similarity between
factoring the product of two primes and calculating
standing wave harmonics in a suitable quantum system.

Cheers,
Ed Gerck