Palladium and buffer over runs

bear bear at sonic.net
Fri Aug 30 12:45:44 EDT 2002

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, John S. Denker wrote:

>bear wrote:

>> Given that, I think a cracker could subvert IE normally, but that
>> wouldn't result in any access to the protected space of any other
>> applications.  And as long as IE is actually separate from your
>> OS (if you're running it on your Mac, or under WINE from Linux,
>> for example), it shouldn't give him/her access to anything
>> inside the OS.
>
>Oh, but aren't you forgetting that You-Know-Who testified
>under oath that it is necessary for IE to be an integral part
>of the operating system.  ;-)

No, I wasn't forgetting that.  But that doesn't make it
any less silly.

Sigh.  It may be the case that laws are really a bad idea,
because they seem to make so many people feel that they are
obligated to say things that just aren't true.

Unfortunately, I don't have any better ideas on how to create
an orderly and capable society.  For a while I was thinking
cryptographic protocols based on provables, self-interest,
and the laws of mathematics (which are relatively constant
and unbiased) might be a superior organizing principle for a
society to laws. Under careful scrutiny and after acquiring
a better understanding of protocol design, however, I
concluded that such a society has probably as many problems
(opportunities for tyranny and oppression) as the current
nation-state concept.  Its only definite advantage might be
lower legal fees.

				Bear