Palladium and malware

Ben Laurie ben at algroup.co.uk
Thu Aug 29 09:08:40 EDT 2002

Paul Crowley wrote:
> I'm informed that malware authors often go to some lengths to prevent
> their software from being disassembled.  Could they use Palladium for
> this end?  Are there any ways in which the facilities that Palladium
> and TCPA provide could be useful to a malware author who wants to
> frustrate legitimate attempts to understand and defeat their software?

That would depend on what facilities the OS layers on top of
TCPA/Palladium. Certainly I could believe an OS would exist that would
simply refuse read access to executables, and Palladium/TCPA could be
used to encrypt them such that they were inaccessible except under that OS.

So, in short. Yes.

Cheers,

Ben.

Available for contract work.