PKI cost of ownership studies?

Tim Dierks tim at dierks.org
Mon Aug 26 13:14:56 EDT 2002

I'm consulting for a company which would like to have a better
understanding of the market's perception of PKI cost of ownership.
Specifically, they hear a lot of numbers tossed around regarding people's
perception of what it costs to set up a PKI, numbers in the $3 million and
up area, and they'd like to better understand where those numbers come from.

I'm interested in getting a better understanding of where people may come
up with these numbers and what they're composed of: software costs,
integration services, building a secure vault, key ceremonies, CPS's, etc.?

Can anyone point me to available studies which might be influential in
establishing perception of these costs?

Or better, is there anyone out there who's got a really good understanding
of such market perception and who'd like to bill a few hours to answer some
questions and brainstorm a little?

Thanks,
  - Tim Dierks
    tim at dierks.org