Overcoming the potential downside of TCPA

lynn.wheeler at firstdata.com lynn.wheeler at firstdata.com
Thu Aug 15 16:41:58 EDT 2002

hum, i guess i somewhat view the situation somewhat in flux ... maybe
analogous to the period when there was a claim that only auto mechanics
should be allowed to drive automobiles .... and only automobiles that
required mechanics to drive them should allowed to be built. The situation
today is that while anybody could build their own automobile from scratch,
few actually do.

as to putting together reliable configurations ... i've had a little
experience ... possible you've heard of some of it.

there was this little client/server startup in the valley that was
interested in implementing  server transactions ... with this emerging
technology that required some amount of vetting and maturing. during the
year that my wife and i worked with them on the implementation and
deployment they moved from menlo park to mountain view and changed their
name from mosaic to netscape .... the emerging technology is sometimes
referred to as SSL or HTTPS and the transactions they wanted to do are
sometimes now referred to as electronic commerce. Possibly you have heard
of some of this? Does Netscape, SSL, HTTPS, or electronic commerce ring any
bells?

some past integrity and security suggestions:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001j.html#5  E-commerce security
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001j.html#54 Does "Strong Security" Mean
Anything

no matter how much I wanted the industry to not allow operation of systems
that didn't meet certain criteria, I wasn't succesful.

thread somewhat analogous to this one:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm5.htm#asrn3
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm5.htm#asrn2
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm5.htm#asrn1
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm5.htm#asrn4

slightly related mumblings on security proportional to risk
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001h.html#61 Security Proportional to Risc

rant about maybe in a couple thousands years security engineering will
reach the maturity level of civil engineering for bridge building
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002k.html#11 Serious vulnerablity in several
common SSL implementations?

How many people participate in the creation of the bridges and roads that
you drive on ... so that you could examine the safety of the road bed
before it is paved over?