responding to claims about TCPA

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sat Aug 10 15:51:26 EDT 2002

AARG!Anonymous <remailer at aarg.net> writes:

> I don't agree with this distinction.  If I use a smart card chip that
> has a private key on it that won't come off, is that protecting me from
> third parties, or vice versa?  If I run a TCPA-enhanced Gnutella that

Who owns the key?  If you bought the smartcard, you generated the key
yourself on the smartcard, and you control it, then it is probably
benefitting you.  If the smartcard came preprogrammed with a
certificate from the manufacturer, then I would say that it is
protecting the third party from you.

> I wrote earlier that if people were honest, trusted computing would not
> be necessary, because they would keep their promises.  Trusted computing
> allows people to prove to remote users that they will behave honestly.
> How does that fit into your dichotomy?  Society has evolved a myriad

The difference is proving that you are being honest to someone else
vs. an application proving to YOU that it is being honest.  Again, it
is a question of ownership.  There is the DRM side (you proving to
someone else that you are being honest) vs. Virus Protection (an
application proving to _you_ that it is being honest).

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins