[ANNOUNCE] OpenSSL 0.9.6f released

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker levitte at openssl.org
Thu Aug 8 18:35:40 EDT 2002

  OpenSSL version 0.9.6f released
  ===============================

  OpenSSL - The Open Source toolkit for SSL/TLS
  http://www.openssl.org/

  The OpenSSL project team is pleased to announce the release of version
  0.9.6f of our open source toolkit for SSL/TLS.  This new OpenSSL version
  is a security and bugfix release and incorporates several changes to the
  toolkit (for a complete list see http://www.openssl.org/source/exp/CHANGES).

  The most significant changes are:

      o Various important bugfixes.

  We consider OpenSSL 0.9.6f to be the best version of OpenSSL available
  and we strongly recommend that users of older versions upgrade as
  soon as possible.  OpenSSL 0.9.6f is available for download via HTTP
  and FTP from the following master locations (you can find the various
  FTP mirrors under http://www.openssl.org/source/mirror.html):

    o http://www.openssl.org/source/
    o ftp://ftp.openssl.org/source/

  [1] OpenSSL comes in the form of two distributions this time.
  The reasons for this is that we want to deploy the external crypto device
  support but don't want to have it part of the "normal" distribution just
  yet.  The distribution containing the external crypto device support is
  popularly called "engine", and is considered experimental.  It's been
  fairly well tested on Unix and flavors thereof.  If run on a system with
  no external crypto device, it will work just like the "normal" distribution.

  The distribution file names are:

      o openssl-0.9.6f.tar.gz [normal]
        MD5 checksum: 160ac38bd2784e633ed291d03f0087d4
      o openssl-engine-0.9.6f.tar.gz [engine]
        MD5 checksum: 26f4b7189fb3ef9c701e961ffe101a95

  The checksums were calculated using the following commands:

    openssl md5 < openssl-0.9.6f.tar.gz
    openssl md5 < openssl-engine-0.9.6f.tar.gz

  Yours,
  The OpenSSL Project Team...

    Mark J. Cox             Ben Laurie          Andy Polyakoff
    Ralf S. Engelschall     Richard Levitte     Geoff Thorpe
    Dr. Stephen Henson      Bodo Möller
    Lutz Jänicke            Ulf Möller

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org