dangers of TCPA/palladium

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Thu Aug 8 15:16:15 EDT 2002

> From: "Peter N. Biddle" <peternbiddle at hotmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 16:35:46 -0700

> You can know this to be true because the
> TOR will be made available for review and thus you can read the source and
> decide for yourself if it behaves this way.

This may be a silly question, but how do you know that the source code
provided really describes the binary?

It seems too much to hope for that if you compile the source code then
the hash of the resulting binary will be the same, as the binary would
seem to depend somewhat on the compiler and the hardware you compile
on.  But this means that you also can't just use the TOR you compiled,
as you then won't be able to unseal any data sealed with the standard
TOR.  Or do I misunderstand how this all works (very likely the case)?