Palladium: hardware layering model

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Thu Aug 8 01:34:15 EDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 04:55:11PM -0700, AARG!Anonymous wrote:
> Adam Back wrote:
> > +---------------+------------+
> > | trusted-agent | user mode  |
> > |    space      | app space  |
> > |    (code      +------------+
> > | compartment)  | supervisor |
> > |               |    mode    |
> > +---------------+------------+
> > | ring-0  / Memory mgmt unit |
> > +----------------------------+
> > | hardware / SCP key manager |
> > +----------------------------+
> >
> > each layer below can decide policy and information disclosure through
> > APIs to the layer above.
>
> I don't think this is right, as Peter said that the Palladium stuff could
> load many days after boot.  So I don't think the "ring-0" mode underlies
> normal supervisor mode as you have shown it.  Instead I think they are
> relatively orthogonal.

No I think the above diagram is closer than what you propose.  Peter
also pointed us at Seth Schoen's blog [1] which is a write up of a
briefing Microsoft gave to EFF.  It contains the statement:

| The nub is a kind of trusted memory manager, which runs with more
| privilege than an operating system kernel. The nub also manages access
| to the SCP.

Looks consistent with my picture to me.

Your other objection:

> I don't think this is right, as Peter said that the Palladium stuff could
> load many days after boot.

I think would just be covered by the details of how the machine
switches from this picture:

+------------+
| user mode  |
| app space  |
+------------+
| supervisor |
|   mode     |
+------------+

to the one above.

For example imagine a default stub nub/TOR that leaves the new MMU
features wide open.  (Supervisor mode can access everything, no
Trusted Agent code compartments running).  The would be some API to
allow the supervisor mode code to load a TOR and switch the TOR code
to ring-0 while leaving the OS running in supervisor mode.

Or alternatively and with equivalent effect: with the boot state, the
OS runs in full ring-0 mode, but just isn't written to make use of any
of the extra ring-0 features.  When it switches to loading a nub/TOR
the OS is relagated to supervisor mode, some MMU permission bits are
juggled around and the TOR occupies ring-0, and the TOR is just an OS
micro-kernel which happens to be written to use the new hardware
features (code compartmentalization, new MMU features, sealing etc)

Clarification on this:

> > So in the general case it seems that remote attestation is also
> > effectively virtualizable, modifiable and debuggable by first nopping
> > out remote attestation checks.  (This is not strictly virtualizable as
> > the remote dongle call nopping modification makes it no longer the
> > same application, but as I said unless this is necessary for the
> > application it doesn't otherwise change it's behavior, so it's
> > effectively virtualizable).
>
> I'm not sure I follow this, but it sounds like you are talking about
> manipulating the server machine doing the checks, while in most cases
> you can only manipulate the client machine making the request.

Not what I meant.  Say that you have some code that looks like this:

/* some code */
if ( ! remote_attest( /* ... */ ) ) { exit 0; }
/* lots more code */

then the remote attest is not doing anything apart from acting as a
remote dongle, so all I have to do to virtualize this code, or break
the licensing scheme based on the remote dongle is nop out the remote
attest verification, then the code can be run as a user application
rather than a trusted agent application and so can be run in a
debugger, have it's state examined etc.

If on the other hand the code says:

download_sealed_content( /* ... */ );
key = remote_attest_and_key_negotiate( /* ... */ );
decrypt_sealed_content( key, /* ... */ );

then nopping out the remote_attest will have a deleterious effect on
the applications function, and so virtualizing it with the remote
attests nopped out will not be useful in bypassing it's policies.

Adam
--
http://www.cypherspace.org/adam/