TCPA and Palladium: Content Control for the Masses

Seth Johnson seth.johnson at RealMeasures.dyndns.org
Thu Aug 8 00:31:35 EDT 2002

The most fundamental, unavoidable problem with TCPA and
Palladium is not whether they can (or will be used to)
restrict the use of the universal logic device; it is rather
the political premises that they are implementing for the
sake of the "content industries."

TCPA is the technological realization of the concepts
embodied in the WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty
(WPPT), which only came into effect this past May 20th (with
little public notice, of course).  The WPPT declares an
unprecedented "moral right" of authors to control public
uses of their works.

That's the game plan.

TCPA and Palladium are simply content control for the
masses.  They constitute an effort to "democratize" content
control under the concept of "moral rights," encouraging
people to confuse private interest issues such as privacy
and security with the clear public interest issues raised by
the specter of content control.  And encouraging the public
to jump on the bandwagon.

In America, we have never supported the concept of "moral
rights" embodied in the WPPT.  The US Constitution accords
Congress the power to grant (or deny, for that matter)
exclusive rights to works and inventions for the purpose of
promoting the progress of the useful arts and sciences, not
for the purpose of rewarding the originality of creators --
though that is obviously a consequence of exclusive rights
as they have been implemented in statute so far.  However,
in America, we have traditionally understood the difference
between expression, which copyright statute has used to
delineate its scope up to now, and the facts and ideas that
comprise an expressive work.  The reasons for that are
essential and unavoidable -- information is free; it's not
that it wants to be; it is and lways has been.  They are
unavoidable, that is, except in a world that subscribes to
"universal content control" for the sake of so-called "moral
rights."

TCPA and Palladium are initiatives that hope to encourage
producers of information products to identify content
control with "moral rights," blithely overlooking the real
implications of information technology in a free society.

Seth Johnson

--

[CC] Counter-copyright:
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cc/cc.html

Original authorship should be attributed reasonably, but
only so far as such an expectation might hold for usual
practice in ordinary social discourse to which one holds no
claim of exclusive rights.