Palladium: technical limits and implications (Re: more TCPA stuff (Re: "trust me" pseudonyms in TCPA))

t.c.jones at att.net t.c.jones at att.net
Wed Aug 7 14:51:46 EDT 2002

It's a question of trust.

The trust of the content owner in this case.

If the content owner is to trust the h/w (which has been
called a varient of a media player elsewhere on this
list) then it will require a signature from a trusted
third party.

As has been noted before in the smart card case, trusted
third parties need to know that the private key, for
which they issue a cert, is well protected.  I believe
we all agree that the best place to protect a private
key is h/w.

If you want a cert from a 3rd party with that level of
asertion, then YOU need to prove that YOU have provide
that level of protection.  Both smart cards (see FINREAD
specs.) and similar h/w can provide this level of
protection.  (Pls note that I did not claim that all do,
only that they can do it if they chose.)

hth  ..tom