USENIX Security TCPA/Palladium Panel Wednesday

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Tue Aug 6 19:57:43 EDT 2002

Anonymous: clearly Lucky and Ross have been talking about two aspects
of the TCPA and Palladium platforms:

1) the implications of platform APIs planned for first phase
implementation based on the new platform hardware support;

2) the implications of the fact that the owner of the machine is
locked out from the new ring-0;

For 2) one obviously has to go beyond discussing the implications of
the APIs discussed in the documents, so the discussion has included
other APIs that could be built securely with their security rooted in
the new third-party controlled ring-0.

In my initial two messages looking at implications I did try to
clearly distinguish between documented planned APIs and new APIs that
become possible to build with third-party controlled ring-0s.

Other areas where analysis is naturally deviating from the aspects
covered by the available documentation (such as it is) are:

- discussion of likelihood that a given potential API will be built

- looking at history of involved parties:

  - Intel: pentium serial number
  - Microsoft: litany of anti-competetive and unethical business
    practices,
  - governments: history of trying to push key-escrow, censorship,
    thought-crime and technologies and laws attempting to enforce
    these infringements of personal freedom
  - RIAA/MPAA: history of lobbying for legislation such as DMCA,
    eroding consumer rights
  - industry/government collaboration: Key Recovery Alliance
    (www.kra.org), which shows an interesting intersection of
    big-companies who are currently and historically were signed on to
    assist the government in deploying key-escrow

- suspicion that the TCPA/Microsoft are putting their own spin and
practicing standard PR techniques: like selective disclosure,
misleading statements, disclaiming planned applications and hence not
taking everything at face value.  TCPA/Microsoft have economic
pressures to spin TCPA/Palladium positively.

- analysis is greatly hampered by the lack of definitive, concise,
clearly organized technical documentation.  Some of the main
informative documents even microsoft is pointing at are like personal
blog entries and copies of personal email exchanges.

a number of your responses have been of the form "hey that's not a
fair argument, what section number in the TCPA/Palladium documents
gives the specification for that API".

I suspect some arguing about the dangers of TCPA/palladium feel no
particular obligation to point out this distinction the fact that an
API is not planned in phase 1, or not publicly announced yet offers
absolutely no safe-guard against it's later deployment.

Adam