Challenge to David Wagner on TCPA

Lucky Green shamrock at cypherpunks.to
Tue Aug 6 05:05:55 EDT 2002

Ray wrote:

> > From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd at echeque.com>
> > Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 20:51:24 -0700
>
> > On 29 Jul 2002 at 15:35, AARG! Anonymous wrote:
> > > both Palladium and TCPA deny that they are designed to restrict
> > > what applications you run.  The TPM FAQ at
> > > http://www.trustedcomputing.org/docs/TPM_QA_071802.pdf reads
> >
> > They deny that intent, but physically they have that capability.
>
> To make their denial credible, they could give the owner
> access to the private key of the TPM/SCP.  But somehow I
> don't think that jibes with their agenda.

Probably not surprisingly to anybody on this list, with the exception of
potentially Anonymous, according to the TCPA's own TPM Common Criteria
Protection Profile, the TPM prevents the owner of a TPM from exporting
the TPM's internal key. The ability of the TPM to keep the owner of a PC
from reading the private key stored in the TPM has been evaluated to E3
(augmented). For the evaluation certificate issued by NIST, see:

http://niap.nist.gov/cc-scheme/PPentries/CCEVS-020016-VR-TPM.pdf

> If I buy a lock I expect that by demonstrating ownership I
> can get a replacement key or have a locksmith legally open it.

It appears the days when this was true are waning. At least in the PC
platform domain.

--Lucky