Extracting unifrom randomness from noisy source

David Wagner daw at mozart.cs.berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 6 00:50:28 EDT 2002

Klaus Pommerening  wrote:
>Indeed it is. But what about
>    pseudo-random = AES_{noise}(k)
>[splitting noise into appropriate blocks] - as long as AES is
>believed to be secure against a known plaintext attack?

Well, I wouldn't recommend it.  It has two disadvantages:

  o  In practice, you can only hash noise samples of up to
     256 bits, and this constraint is a big problem.  In practice,
     it's often a good idea to hash samples from as many sources
     as possible, and that may yield may kilobytes of data.
     This construction provides no good way to help with this.

  o  In theory, there's no reason to believe that this method
     is any good.  For instance, suppose AES had a class of 2^64
     weak keys: if the first 64 bits of the key are all zeros, then
     encryption is the identity transform.  Well, this wouldn't
     contradict the assumption of security against known-plaintext
     attack, as a random key would be extremely unlikely to fall
     in such a class.  Yet such a property would make your proposed
     construction a not-so-great choice for entropy hashing.
     The conclusion is that merely assuming security against
     known-plaintext attacks (or even against adaptive chosen
     plaintext/ciphertext attacks) is not sufficient to guarantee
     that this method is secure, in theory.

In my opinion, SHA1 is superior in every way.