Challenge to David Wagner on TCPA

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Aug 1 22:17:41 EDT 2002

    --
On 2 Aug 2002 at 3:31, Sampo Syreeni wrote:
> More generally, as long as we have computers which allow data to
> be addressed as code and vice versa, the ability to control use
> of data will necessarily entail ability to control use of code.
> So, either we will get systems where circumventing copyright
> controls is trivial or ones where you cannot compile your own
> code. All the rest is just meaningless syntax.

The announced purpose of TCPA/Palladium is to introduce some
intermediate cases.  For example you could compile your own code,
and then encrypt it so that it can only run on a specific target
computer.

As somone who sells code, I would think this would be a great
idea, were it not for the excesses we have been seeing from the IP
lobbyists.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     iB5WVaGfx+zq5Dani1KQGdZIU5Kl21LDrc7w4e1m
     2PoKhj2EuUKqjKlZ/RN3VXdP0TFKxmpO/rR69KupZ