Challenge to David Wagner on TCPA

AARG!Anonymous remailer at aarg.net
Thu Aug 1 19:45:15 EDT 2002

Eric Murray writes:
> TCPA (when it isn't turned off) WILL restrict the software that you
> can run.  Software that has an invalid or missing signature won't be
> able to access "sensitive data"[1].   Meaning that unapproved software
> won't work.
>
> [1] TCPAmain_20v1_1a.pdf, section 2.2

We need to look at the text of this in more detail.  This is from
version 1.1b of the spec:

: This section introduces the architectural aspects of a Trusted Platform
: that enable the collection and reporting of integrity metrics.
:
: Among other things, a Trusted Platform enables an entity to determine
: the state of the software environment in that platform and to SEAL data
: to a particular software environment in that platform.
:
: The entity deduces whether the state of the computing environment in
: that platform is acceptable and performs some transaction with that
: platform. If that transaction involves sensitive data that must be
: stored on the platform, the entity can ensure that that data is held in
: a confidential format unless the state of the computing environment in
: that platform is acceptable to the entity.
:
: To enable this, a Trusted Platform provides information to enable the
: entity to deduce the software environment in a Trusted Platform. That
: information is reliably measured and reported to the entity. At the same
: time, a Trusted Platform provides a means to encrypt cryptographic keys
: and to state the software environment that must be in place before the
: keys can be decrypted.

What this means is that a remote system can query the local TPM and
find out what software has been loaded, in order to decide whether to
send it some data.  It's not that unapproved software "won't work",
it's that the remote guy can decide whether to trust it.

Also, as stated earlier, data can be sealed such that it can only be
unsealed when the same environment is booted.  This is the part above
about encrypting cryptographic keys and making sure the right software
environment is in place when they are decrypted.

> Ok, technically it will run but can't access the data,
> but that it a very fine hair to split, and depending on the nature of
> the data that it can't access, it may not be able to run in truth.
>
> If TCPA allows all software to run, it defeats its purpose.
> Therefore Wagner's statement is logically correct.

But no, the TCPA does allow all software to run.  Just because a remote
system can decide whether to send it some data doesn't mean that software
can't run.  And just because some data may be inaccessible because it
was sealed when another OS was booted, also doesnt mean that software
can't run.

I think we agree on the facts, here.  All software can run, but the TCPA
allows software to prove its hash to remote parties, and to encrypt data
such that it can't be decrypted by other software.  Would you agree that
this is an accurate summary of the functionality, and not misleading?

If so, I don't see how you can get from this to saying that some software
won't run.  You might as well say that encryption means that software
can't run, because if I encrypt my files then some other programs may
not be able to read them.

Most people, as you may have seen, interpret this part about "software
can't run" much more literally.  They think it means that software needs
a signature in order to be loaded and run.  I have been going over and
over this on sci.crypt.  IMO the facts as stated two paragraphs up are
completely different from such a model.

> Yes, the spec says that it can be turned off.  At that point you
> can run anything that doesn't need any of the protected data or
> other TCPA services.   But, why would a software vendor that wants
> the protection that TCPA provides allow his software to run
> without TCPA as well, abandoning those protections?

That's true; in fact if you ran it earlier under TCPA and sealed some
data, you will have to run under TCPA to unseal it later.  The question
is whether the advantages of running under TCPA (potentially greater
security) outweigh the disadvantages (greater potential for loss of
data, less flexibility, etc.).

> I doubt many would do so, the majority of TCPA-enabled
> software will be TCPA-only.  Perhaps not at first, but eventually
> when there are enough TCPA machines out there.  More likely, spiffy
> new content and features will be enabled if one has TCPA and is
> properly authenticated, disabled otherwise.  But as we have seen
> time after time, today's spiffy new content is tomorrows
> virtual standard.

Right, the strongest case will probably be for DRM.  You might be able
to download all kinds of content if you are running an OS and application
that the server (content provider) trusts.  People will have a choice of
using TCPA and getting this data legally, or avoiding TCPA and trying to
find pirated copies as they do today.

> This will require the majority of people to run with TCPA turned on
> if they want the content.  TCPA doesn't need to be required by law,
> the market will require it.  At some point, running without TCPA
> will be as difficult as avoiding MS software in an otherwise all-MS
> office.... theoretically possible, but difficult in practice.

I am inclined to agree; in fact I have made many postings (anonymously
of course) in recent weeks arguing that these systems will be entirely
voluntary.  If the functionality is useful, people will use it.
Software vendors who use TCPA will compete with those who don't.
The market will decide.  I am not as certain as you that TCPA will win,
but if it does, it will mean that TCPA is a good technology that solves
real problems for people.

> "TCPA could be required" by the government or MS or <insert evil
> company here> is, I agree, a red herring.  It is not outside
> the realm of possibility, in fact I'd bet that someone at MS has
> seriously thought through the implications.  But to my mind
> the "requirement by defacto standard" scenerio I outline above
> is much more likely, in fact it is certain to happen if TCPA
> gets in more than say 50% of computers.

The points I made earlier were that TCPA is unlikely to be mandated,
because it doesn't need to be; that TCPA should compete in the free
market with other solutions; and that this approach actually expands the
set of choices available to the participants.  More choice is always good.

> I worked for a short while on a very early version of TCPA with Geoff
> Strongin from AMD.  We were both concerned that TCPA not be able to
> be used to restrict user's freedom, and at the time I thought that
> "you can always turn it off" was good enough.  Now I'm not so sure.
> If someday all the stuff that you do with your computer touches data that can
> only be operated on by TCPA-enabled software, what are you going to do?

Well, you would use TCPA.  But you have to look at how you got into that
situation.  The way it would have happened was by people voluntarily
adopting TCPA before it became a de facto standard, simply because it
was useful.

> BTW, what's your credentials?  You seem familiar with the TCPA spec, which
> is no mean feat considering that it seems to have been written to
> make it as difficult to understand as possible (or perhaps someone
> hired an out-of-work ISO standards writer).  I think that Peter's
> guess is spot on.  Of course having you participate as a nym
> is much preferable to not having you participate at all, so don't
> feel as though you have to out yourself or stop posting.

I have no credentials in this area other than a general knowledge of
crypto; I am just someone who was willing to devote some hours of his
free time to educating himself on this technology.  I agree that the
spec is written very poorly.

But let me put you on the spot: as someone who has a good
understanding of TCPA, what do you think of Ross Anderson's TCPA FAQ
at http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rja14/tcpa-faq.html?  For example,
how about his claim in answer 2, "Pirate software can be detected and
deleted remotely."  I must have missed that page of the TCPA spec.
And then he builds on this a couple of paragraphs later: "There will
be remote censorship: the mechanisms designed to delete pirated music
under remote control may be used to delete documents that a court (or
a software company) has decided are offensive...."  He further builds
on this later to claim (answer 11) that with TCPA, programs can be made
to ignore documents created by pirated versions of Word, etc.  All this
has so little to do with anything related to TCPA that it boggles my mind.

And then in answer 12 we're back to the claim that TCPA can stop computers
from booting.  Saddam better not buy a TCPA computer or the U.S. will
render it inoperative, using a "serial number revocation list", according
to the FAQ.  Are you aware of any such capability in TCPA?  I didn't see
any such data structure.

Ross Anderson means well, and so does David Wagner.  But in the long
run it hurts the credibility of critics when they make exaggerated and
unfounded claims.