building a true RNG

John S. Denker jsd at monmouth.com
Thu Aug 1 18:15:35 EDT 2002

1) There were some very interesting questions such as
  -- whether one can construct a hash function that
     generates all possible codes.
  -- ditto, generating them as uniformly as possible.
  -- Whether off-the-shelf hash functions such as SHA-1
     have such properties.

The answers are respectively yes, yes, and very probably.

I wrote up a discussion of this, with examples, at
  http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/turbid/paper/turbid.htm#sec-uniform-hash

2) David W. suggested (off-list) that I clarify the relationship
of entropy-based information-theoretic arguments to computational-
feasibility arguments.  I took some steps in this direction; see
  http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/turbid/paper/turbid.htm#sec-objectives