Lucky's 1024-bit post [was: RE: objectivity and factoring analysis]

Wei Dai weidai at eskimo.com
Mon Apr 29 13:31:34 EDT 2002

Sorry, there's a mistake in my post, which makes the relationship finding
phase look easier than it actually is. BTW, why did it take 5 days for
that post to go through?

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 12:30:26PM -0700, Wei Dai wrote:
> Using a factor base size of 10^9, in the relationship finding phase you
> would have to check the smoothness of 2^89 numbers, each around 46 bits
> long.

Obviously there are not 2^89 integers that are 46 bits long. Each of the
numbers that need to be checked for smoothness is actually around 195 bits
long.