Any info on this maybe improved matrix algebra for GNFS?

Nicko van Someren nicko at ncipher.com
Wed Apr 24 04:42:58 EDT 2002

Francois,

	This is a new implementation, not a new method, though
there are some neat tricks in this implementation.  Ben Handley
from the University of Otago in New Zealand worked for us last
winter and spent some time on a fast implementation of the
block Lanczos algorithm with the speed critical sections done
in Itanium machine code.  This was one step towards the goal of
showing that 512 bit keys can be factored without having to use
a supercomputer but can in fact be factored using just what we
had in the office.  The technology is little different from the
stuff done to solve the last puzzle in The Codebook other than
the fact that few offices have quad-processor Compaq Alpha
servers but an increasingly large number have Win2K servers
with Itaniums in them.

	I think that Ben intends to publish some of the results
and code as part of his university dissertation.  I don't know
if he reads this list so I will forward this message to him in
case he wants to add more.

	Nicko