Experiences Deploying a Large Scale Emergent Network

Zooko zooko at zooko.com
Tue Apr 9 09:16:05 EDT 2002

[This is in reply to a message that was sent to me and to
<cryptography at wasabisystems.com> on 2002-03-22.  I do not see it on
mail-archive.com [1], so if you are interested you might want to view the
archive at sf.net/projects/mnet [2].]

I'd like to thank A. Melon for criticism of my paper "Experiences Deploying a
Large-Scale Emergent Network".  I've updated the paper in preparation for its
inclusion in a printed dead-tree proceedings and attempted to address some of
A. Melon's criticisms.  In particular, I've tried to be more clear about the
magnitude of Mojo Nation's failures by adding the typical and maximum number
of simultaneously connected nodes.

I've also added some observations about "two big mistakes that would be easy
to correct", something I understood only after chatting with the researchers
at the Peer-to-Peer Workshop.

I've also attempted to address A. Melon's other criticism: that it isn't clear
which specific issues are most to blame for the overall poor behavior.  I've
added statements about my belief that the high node churn rate was largely due
to the poor data availability and that conversely the poor data availability
was partially due to the high node churn rate.  I've also added a statement
that there are a lot of important aspects of the system as a whole which are
omitted from the scope of the paper.  (Including agnostically-blindable
digital tokens and many other things.)

I'd like to thank A. Melon and the participants of the Peer-to-Peer workshop
for feedback.  Most of all I'd like to thank the architects of Mojo Nation:
Jim McCoy and Doug Barnes.  Mojo Nation was a brave experiment, and I hope
that we will all benefit from the resulting knowledge.

Here is the URL for the current version of the paper:

http://zooko.com/IPTPS02.ps
or
http://zooko.com/IPTPS02.pdf

Regards,

Zooko

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/cryptography@wasabisystems.com/
[2] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=579361&forum_id=7702

---
                 zooko.com
Security and Distributed Systems Engineering
---