collecting an Enigma? [was: Antiques man guilty of Enigma charge

Jon Callas jon at callas.org
Thu Sep 27 18:57:28 EDT 2001

At 10:37 AM -0400 9/27/01, Pat Farrell wrote:

>Since I worked professionally writing software ciphers, I have
>thought over the years that owning an Enigma sample would be cool.
>Assuming that private collectors can own one, and that the price
>is less than that of a small house. Sort of like buying one
>of the Beatles' guitars.
>
>Does anyone know if there is a legal collector's market for Enigma
>machines?

Yes. They show up from time to time in various places, and a few times a
year on eBay, even.

A civilian Enigma like a NEMA should run between US$2K-3K. A military
Enigma should run around $5K-7K, less if it isn't in working condition or
is missing rotors, more if it has some interesting provenance.

You can get Hagelin M209 machines in the US$1500-2000 for ones in really
spiffy condition. There's a M209 canvas case up for auction now on eBay.

	Jon