bin Laden's alleged stego & provos/honey paper

Niels Provos provos at citi.umich.edu
Thu Sep 27 11:10:07 EDT 2001

In message <3BB0958B.C655F209 at spinnakernet.com>, Lyle Seaman writes:
>The paper concludes that either "there is not much stego on the net,"
>or "it's a different kind of stego", or "stego users choose good
>passwords."  A fourth possibility is that "we used the wrong
>dictionary."  But I suspect that "love", "hockey", and "jesus" probably
>aren't the top choices for passwords among Islamist terrorist cells.
The study was motiviated by the article in the usa today.  We
assembled a fairly large dicitionary, almost a million words.  In the
discussion, our argument is one of numbers.  If there had been a
significant use of steganography, I should have found it.  That does
not mean that particular hidden messages can not slip past our net.

Niels.