[FYI] Antiques man guilty of Enigma charge

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Wed Sep 26 13:39:57 EDT 2001

> Axel H Horns[SMTP:horns at ipjur.com]
>

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/england/newsid_1564000/1564878.stm
>
> ------------------------------ CUT ---------------------------------
>
> Wednesday, 26 September, 2001, 15:25 GMT 16:25 UK
>
> Antiques man guilty of Enigma charge
>
> The machine was one of only three in the world An antiques dealer has
> admitted handling a stolen code-breaking Enigma machine, worth
> £100,000.
>
> [...]
Only 3 in the world? I don't think so. At the last RSA conference, the
NSA had a historical 'museum', including an enigma. The woman
running it said there were at least 40 still around.

I know one firm which has two of them, along with various other
historical crypto HW.

They're rare, but not *that* rare. The toughest part in keeping
them going is getting the odd little lightbulbs which indicate the
output.

Peter