[FYI] Did Encryption Empower These Terrorists?

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Wed Sep 26 12:06:29 EDT 2001

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Enzo Michelangeli wrote:

>As Ben noted, it is not difficult to combine the following two
>requirements:
>
>a) protection of PAN from any party different from cardholder or acquiring
>bank
>b) no special software installed on cardholder's PC besides an SSL-capable
>browser
>
>For example, let's suppose that the acquirer run a stateful trusted and
>well protected machine (gateway), and the merchant a simple secure web
>server whose CGI scripts can act as SSL clients. The transaction protocol
>could work this way:

A few problems:

1) in a typical credit card transaction, the seller neither knows,
   nor cares, what bank issued the credit card.  Thus, connecting
   to the correct gateway becomes a minor problem.

2) No provision for dispute resolution.  What happens in a month
   and a half when george gets his credit card bill back and says
   "I've never been there and never done any business with this
    person"?  The bank generates a chargeback and sends it to the
    merchant who, in the absence of knowledge about the buyer's
    identity, has no recourse.  George may or may not be the person
    who made the transaction; but the merchant has no way to even
    begin to try to find out.

In general, "anonymity" and "credit" are immiscible.  If you want
anonymous transactions, you absolutely cannot abide by the laws
that require chargebacks, merchant and/or bank liability in case
of fraud (instead of consumer liability), etc.  Compliance with
those laws requires the merchant and banks to have the very
information that anonymity prohibits them from having.

For anonymous transactions, you want something a whole lot more like
cash, with the same failure modes (ie, no shift of liability in case
of fraud) as cash.  That requires infrastructure which will not be
allowed to be built.