<nettime> "Pirate Utopia," FEED, February 20, 2001

Greg Rose ggr at qualcomm.com
Mon Sep 24 17:14:55 EDT 2001

At 11:44 AM 9/24/2001 -0700, Ray Dillinger wrote:
>On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> >The Stegdetect paper proceeded to further analyze the 20000+ images by
> >looking for passwords that would produce meaningful messages from the
> >hypothesized hidden content, via dictionary attack.  No valid passwords
> >were found, and the authors concluded therefore that these were all
> >false positives.  This does not seem to be a fully supported conclusion.
>
>Actually, dictionary attacks reveal about sixty percent of passwords,
>so for every six passwords you find on a dictionary attack, you can
>infer ten actual stegotexts times the ratio between your analyzed and
>discovered (possibly-false) positives.
>
>While he has analyzed only two percent of his sample, that's a sufficient
>number that if even even a tenth of one percent of his positives were
>real he'd have discovered at least a few passwords.
>
>The paper is solid statistical methods; lack of any dictionary-yeilding
>passwords in that big a sample is very strong evidence that the sample
>is overwhelmingly made up of false positives.

I'm afraid I have to disagree. They could all be images manipulated by a
different steganographic program from the one(s) that are being tested,
and/or they could all have been manipulated by very disciplined people
using high-entropy passwords. Lack of evidence is at most suggestive.

Greg.

Greg Rose                                       INTERNET: ggr at qualcomm.com
Qualcomm Australia          VOICE:  +61-2-9817 4188   FAX: +61-2-9817 5199
Level 3, 230 Victoria Road,                http://people.qualcomm.com/ggr/
Gladesville NSW 2111    232B EC8F 44C6 C853 D68F  E107 E6BF CD2F 1081 A37C