New encryption technology closes WLAN security loopholes

ji at research.att.com ji at research.att.com
Mon Sep 24 15:36:37 EDT 2001

>While we are on the topic, it seems to me that the other implication
>of 802.11 is that the Ethernet backbone in most offices can no longer
>be considered secure.

Given the number of people with laptops who bring them in and out of
your average firewalled network, nothing can be considered secure.  Or
people spreading viruses, for that matter.

/ji

[Moderator's Note: To expand on John's point, many organizations were
infected with Code Red by people plugging their laptops in to the
corporate LAN after running them outside the LAN, or were infected via
VPN tunnels from machines on the outside that were incorrectly not
thought of as being part of the security perimeter. In the face of
such attacks, firewalls can no longer stop worms or viruses from
entering a firm. --Perry]