[FYI] Did Encryption Empower These Terrorists?

lynn.wheeler at firstdata.com lynn.wheeler at firstdata.com
Mon Sep 24 12:31:39 EDT 2001

there are all sorts of shortcomings in this world. you find a "merchant"
that buys a computer, installs some webserver software and puts it up and
the web and expects that to handle everything.

there are sometimes prevalent things like that in the world; it would be
nice if people would choose a random 16-character value for every
PIN/password they need, that every PIN/password they have is different,
that every password/PIN changes at least monthly, and that every person
could easily remember one or two hundred 16-character random values that
change monthly, and no PIN/password is ever re-used.
misc. pin/password ref:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001d.html#52

security proportional to risk:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aepay7.htm#netbank2

misc. information security & risk management:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aepay3.htm#riskm
http:/www.garlic.com/~lynn/aepay3.htm#riskaads

misc. web refs:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001j.html#5
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#fraud
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#privacy

part of above posting ....

when we were working on the credit card transaction stuff (now frequently
referred
to as electronic commerce):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm5.htm#asrn2
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm5.htm#asrn3

we tried to get various security measures specified:

* physical security for the data processing room, motion detecters, guards,
etc
* multiple layers of firewalls & packet filtering routers
* actual financial transactions performed on backroom dataprocessing
  equipment away from the actual web server
* fbi background checks for all employees
* security audits
* minimum business & security certification levels.

... didn't happen, oh well.

                         Ben Laurie
                    <ben at algroup.co     To:      lynn.wheeler at firstdata.com
                               .uk>     cc:      jim_windle at eudoramail.com,
                                           cryptography at wasabisystems.com, Hadmut
                         09/24/2001        Danisch <hadmut at danisch.de>
                           02:34 AM     Subject:      Re: [FYI] Did Encryption
                                           Empower These Terrorists?

lynn.wheeler at firstdata.com wrote:
> The problems, of course are 1) account numbers are essentially shared
> secrets, 2) SSL only provides for protection for numbers in flight, 3)
the
> numbers at rest remain a major exploit (as per press stories regarding
> copying of account number master files at web servers) ... aka the use of
> SSL/ecryption only addressed a small portion of the problem. The web
server
> account number master file also typicall represents a risk that is
> significantly greater than what typical merchant otherwise has at risk
> making it difficult to support a solution where the level of
> security/protection is proportional to the risk

This is simply bad design - there should be no "account number master
file" on the web server!

Cheers,

Ben.

--