<nettime> "Pirate Utopia," FEED, February 20, 2001

Ariel Waissbein wata at corest.com
Thu Sep 20 19:40:52 EDT 2001

Hi to you all! A word on this thread. I think you are giving missleading
assertions. It's just a subtlety I'd like to mention.

Perhaps you should simply notice that getting a one-use-only webmail
email account and sending the message "the bird is flying home" or any
James  Bondish message like that to another one-time-use-only webmail
account is also steganography. You hide a message between millions
of messages within millions of accounts!

It is impossible to browse and identify all those messages as dangerous.
And that is because they aint. However, having a particular message,
photo, or any piece of digital information and trying to gain
information
from it is quite a different task. Here steganography as you speak could
enter the scene. My feeling is that there is no generical tool for
handling all the sensible inf traveling through the web and that it's
construction should be dimmed (theoretically) impossible. However,
practical solutions to specific and well defined problems can and
are devided daily. I hope you see my point.

regards,
Ariel Waissbein