Are there any security conserns with using mprotect???

laurieb at mac.com laurieb at mac.com
Thu Sep 20 10:30:17 EDT 2001

This may be the correct forum for this question (and may not)

I am using Darwin (a BSD derivative) and in order to use mlock - you first have
to run mprotect giving read, write, execute permissions on the memory that you
want to lock.

Since the reason that I am using mlock is to prevent paging of the memory to
disk and to add to the security of that memory contents - is the use of mprotect
going to compromise this?  Understand that on this system you can only use mlock
if you run mprotect first.

I can supply sample source code if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance,

Laurie