chip-level randomness?

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Wed Sep 19 14:42:28 EDT 2001

At 1:12 AM -0700 9/19/01, Bram Cohen wrote:
>Of course, there's the religion of people who say that /dev/random output
>'needs' to contain 'all real' entropy, despite the absolute zero increase
>in security this results in and the disastrous effect it can have on
>performance.

If I am generating one time pads, I would certainly prefer /dev/random
output to /dev/urandom output.  There is much less algorithm exposure.
(Although I do still have to worry about the whitening and combining
algorithms.)

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz           | The principal effect of| Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506         | DMCA/SDMI is to prevent| 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz at pwpconsult.com | fair use.              | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA