Bush's anti-terror bill appears not to include crypto restrictions

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Sep 19 12:23:56 EDT 2001

    --
On 19 Sep 2001, at 11:01, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>     According to the two-page outline -- which lacks key
>     details and could change before it's sent to Capitol
>     Hill -- police would be able to conduct more wiretaps
>     and use the Carnivore surveillance system in more
>     situations without court orders. That section of the
>     bill appears to mirror an amendment the Senate approved
>     last Thursday evening.
>
>     No restrictions on encryption products, a prospect
>     feared by some civil libertarians, appear in the
>     outline.

Since we are now at war, that is not nearly as bad as they
could have gotten away with.  The legislation authorizes the
government to do stuff that they were already doing, and will
never stop doing, legal or illegal.

>     The bill hands prosecutors a courtroom edge, saying
>     that accused terrorists should stay in jail by default,
>     that detention of suspected terrorists is "mandatory,"

Not so good.  Anyone can easily suspect me of being a
terrorist, if I should discuss certain topics that are of
interest to this list.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     OxSgK6f7bogCHTXZRxbqohyWo1hd3WuRpZdrxBf
     4Bv3zdasO+K/WRhUy/l7ZdgToCl5eZFsH+iQ6vwXV