FC: Majority of Americans want anti-encryption laws, poll says

Bram Cohen bram at gawth.com
Wed Sep 19 04:00:17 EDT 2001

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, R. A. Hettinga wrote:

> Favor Or Oppose The Following?
>                                            Favor Oppose
> Attack suspected terrorists like bin
> Laden even if we're not sure they're
> responsible for last week's attack          54%   40%

Jail child molesters like George Bush even if it turns out he's not a
child molester?

> How Much Would The Following Prevent Similar Terrorist Attacks?
>                        Very Somewhat Not Too Much Not At All
> Reduce encryption to
> aid CIA/FBI             35       37          12         9

Reduce aphids to aid mother theresa?

> Should Encryption Laws Be Reduced To Aid CIA/FBI Surveillance?
>     Yes No
>     54% 39%

That's just incoherent. I'll bet half the respondents got a bit error on
it.

-Bram Cohen

"Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent"
                                        -- John Maynard Keynes