Which internet services were used?

Michael Shields shields at msrl.com
Tue Sep 18 10:33:45 EDT 2001

In article <87zo7wt8ao.fsf at snark.piermont.com>,
"Perry E. Metzger" <perry at piermont.com> wrote:
> These same people ignore the fact that the US economy, and indeed the
> world economy, could no longer function without encryption.

I am not sure that it is accurate to say that the world economy will
grind to a halt without encryption.  It would suffer massive truly
fraud losses, just as credit cards currently experience massive fraud
due to their use of a single fixed account number.  But given the
current mood in the US, the public might even be prepared to accept
huge economic losses -- if it made them feel safer.

An effective argument against crypto restrictions must be on the
grounds that new laws would not help fight terrorism.  It is very
difficult to convince people with a cost-side argument, because the
effects of a successful terrorist attack can be viewed as nearly
infinite.  The public will only be strongly opposed to new measures if
they feel that they are ineffective.
--
Shields.