Did the US defeat wiretapping success?

Matt Crawford crawdad at fnal.gov
Mon Sep 17 14:25:21 EDT 2001

> >Senator Hatch was interviewed by national media on Tuesday and stated that
> >the US government had voice intercepts of calls talking about success with
> >two targets.  He was later criticized for talking about the intercepts.
>
> Hmmmmm, criticized?  Why not indicted?
>
>    (a) Whoever knowingly and willfully communicates, furnishes,
>    [ ... 18 USC 798 ...]

Depends where he said it.

    They shall in all cases, except treason, felony and breach of the
    peace, be privileged from arrest during their attendance at the
    session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning
    from the same; and for any speech or debate in either House, they
    shall not be questioned in any other place.
			- Article 1, Section 6

Somehow I doubt that it was not a speech or debate in the senate.