[FYI] Did Encryption Empower These Terrorists?

Hadmut Danisch hadmut at danisch.de
Mon Sep 17 12:29:05 EDT 2001

> [Moderator's note: Everyone who's got a copy of Netscape or IE has
> cryptographic software in their hands, and most of them have used it. --Perry]

That's a technical view. I was talking about a political view.
In a political discussion there's no point in technical arguments,
if less than 3% of citizens can understand what you're talking about.
So drop your technical point of view for a moment.

Of course, many people use Web browsers and https, but very few
of them realize that they're using cryptography. They are not
using https for encryption, they are using it because that's
they way to get that damned web page, no matter how and why.
And even of those who understand what's going on, most don't see
any difference between the old 40bit days and today.

Extremely few people are using cryptography _intentionally_
and are considering it as necessary.

I know only extremely few people who'd change their
political vote if cryptography was banned. I know only
few people who'd even care about.

Now imagine you're a politican. People demand to do
anything against terrorists. Banning cryptography
(i.e. writing a law which says so, not the technical
implementation!) is simple, cheap, and doesn't cost
voters. And it is worthful for PR.

That's the way it works...

Hadmut