NYC events and cell phones

Angelos D. Keromytis angelos at cs.columbia.edu
Sun Sep 16 19:09:11 EDT 2001

In message <20010916185623.A20618 at panix.com>, t byfield writes:

>i don't think the relationship was so clear.
>
>however, a very limited sample did suggest that single-band (i.e.,
>domestic) phones were working while, side by side, 'world' phones
>weren't.

The phone I was using is an Ericsson T39 ("world" model). Of course, it
was using the 1.9G band (nothing else is available in the US, AFAIK).

Most of the day I was around 116 Street (Columbia U. campus), but at around
7pm I went to West 4 Street (they hadn't closed that part off yet), and the
problem persisted.

Just to clarify -- the phone was working, but the encryption was off (I suppose
that could be classified as "not working" :-)
-Angelos