How to ban crypto?

Hadmut Danisch hadmut at danisch.de
Sun Sep 16 18:07:36 EDT 2001

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 02:12:40PM -0700, Carl Ellison wrote:

> I think it is ironic that Congress passed a law a while ago that
> discourages crypto researchers from studying and publishing how to
> detect and defeat stego systems.

:-O

What the hell is the purpose of such a law?
I could not agree with, but at least see some
sense in a law against stego, but what is
a law against detecting and defeating stego
systems good for?

Where can I find details about this law?

[Moderator's note: It is called the DMCA, Hadmut. It is intended to
prevent people from finding ways around copy protection. --Perry]

regards
Hadmut