Please make stable NON-US homes for strong crypto projects

Vipul Ved Prakash mail at vipul.net
Sat Sep 15 14:53:43 EDT 2001

Hi folks,

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 10:01:40AM +0530, Udhay Shankar N wrote:

> Just taking a minute to plug http://munitions.vipul.net/ -- it is a
> collection of Open Source crypto software for Linux, mirrored at 10
> different (non-US) sites.

Over the last few months the munition archive grew by an order of
magnitude (it's at ~1.5 Gb at present). Our mirrors hadn't planned for
this so most of them are out of sync. It might be a while before they can
add more hardware and start syncing again. It would be nice to have some
functional mirrors immediately, so if you are interested in setting one
up, please drop me a mail. There's a (rather out of date) mirroring howto
at http://munitions.vipul.net/documents/munitions-mirror-howto.txt, which
still serves as a good starting point for setting up a munitions mirror.

Another thing: munitions is currently limited to software for Linux and
*nix systems. This is mostly because I like to make sure that I don't
host snake oil (at least not without a note that says it is, or might be,
snake oil), and I am unable to do this for any platform other than
Linux). If anyone is interested in editing archives for other OSes
(Windows, Mac, etc), I'd be glad to work with them to extend munitions to
host such archives.

best,
vipul.

--

Vipul Ved Prakash         |   "I almost died, but I made it, so I'm not so
Software Design Artist    |    serious about formal-wear anymore."