crypto backdoors = terrorisms free reign

nathan at fains.com nathan at fains.com
Fri Sep 14 20:46:43 EDT 2001

The message that our leaders must realize and the message I would encourage you to write your leaders about (anyone have a quick references for House and Senate addresses and phone numbers?):

If you weaken technology for secure communication and transmission in any manner you must realize that at the same time you will...

1) Weaken the ability of the free world to combat things such as terrorism due to the miss-assumption that criminals and terrorists will actually obey the law thereby causing lack of preparedness.  You only restrict the rights of the law-abiding citizen, not the lawless.

2) Weaken the safety of dissidents and human rights organizations that exists in hostile countries.  Reason being that any backdoor can be found by anyone with the resources.  Many hostile countries have or could buy such resources.

3) Create another tool for Terrorism against our financial (and other types of) institutions that rely on secure communications.  Again, this is possible because any backdoor can be found by anyone with the resources.  Radicals and hostile countries have such resources.

And lastly, and perhaps this is just a personal statement...
4) You turn law abiding citizens that realize the above facts into lawless one's as they say:
I will protect myself, my company, my organization and will use encryption tools and methods, which I feel, are COMPLETELY.

I don't understand why anyone would choose to vote for an individual that doesn't understand the above logic.

Nathan Fain