Fwd: CDR: London Daily Telegraph wants to ban all crypto

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Fri Sep 14 10:27:43 EDT 2001

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 13:15:33 +0100
To: usual at espace.net
From: Fearghas McKay <fearghas at mac.com>
Subject: Fwd: CDR: London Daily Telegraph wants to ban all crypto and
 invade   Afghanistan
Sender: <usual at espace.net>

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 12:55:27 +0100
From: Ken Brown <k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk>
To: Tim May <tcmay at got.net>
CC: cypherpunks at lne.com
Subject: CDR: London Daily Telegraph wants to ban all crypto and invade
   Afghanistan
Sender: owner-cypherpunks at ssz.com

In an opinion  column in the London Daily Telegraph, John Keegan calls
for a combined US/Russian/British invasion of Afghanistan:
http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk:80/dt?ac=006026232037638&rtmo=pUsM4USe&atmo=rrrrrrrq&pg=/01/9/14/do01.html

He then goes on to say, and I quote:

==========

"There are other current movements of which to take note, as yet
insubstantial but certain to gather concrete form. One is the retreat of
human rights lawyers from the forefront of public life. America in a war
mood will have no truck with tender concern for constitutional
safeguards of the liberty of its enemies. The other, which ordinary
Americans will have to learn to bear, is interference with their liberty
of instant electronic access to friends and services."

"The World Trade Centre outrage was co-ordinated on the internet,
without question. If Washington is serious in its determination to
eliminate terrorism, it will have to forbid internet providers to allow
the transmission of encrypted messages - now encoded by public key
ciphers that are unbreakable even by the National Security Agency's
computers - and close down any provider that refuses to comply."

"Uncompliant providers on foreign territory should expect their
buildings to be destroyed by cruise missiles. Once the internet is
implicated in the killing of Americans, its high-rolling days may be
reckoned to be over."

==========

The "Torygraph" is the most conservative of Britain's serious
newspapers, and is edited from (IIRC) the 30th floor of London's tallest
office tower, which overlooks London City Airport,  from which STOL
planes take off pointing straight at the tower. I know, I've been there
myself, it scared me then.  Their fear is excusable. Their
bloodthirstiness is understandable. Their stupidity is neither.

Ken Brown

--- end forwarded text

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA