[FYI] Did Encryption Empower These Terrorists?

Ariel Waissbein wata at corest.com
Thu Sep 13 17:07:11 EDT 2001

I'd say that terrorist do not much care about laws such as a
non-encryption law. Come on. Authorities should know better
than that: a team able to get the technical accuracy needed
for driving high-tech comercial planes won't be able to
circunvent an encryption watch?

On the other hand I think that this would be a great
opportunity for passing whatever ridiculous law that
the legislative power came up with. But they do it all
the same. So...

greetings to you all,
Ariel Waissbein

Axel H Horns wrote:

> http://www.msnbc.com/news/627390_asp.htm
>
> --------------------------------- CUT --------------------------------
>
> Did Encryption Empower These Terrorists?
>
> And would restricting crypto have given the authorities a change to
> stop these acts?
>
> By Steven Levy
>
> NEWSWEEK WEB EXCLUSIVE
>
> Sept. 11 — “Well, I guess this is the end now. . . .” So wrote the
> first Netizen to address today’s tragedy on the popular discussion
> group, sci.crypt. The posting was referring what seems like an
> inevitable reaction to the horrific terrorist act: an attempt to roll
> back recent relaxations on encryption tools, on the theory that
> cryptography helped cloak preparations for the deadly events.
>
> BUT THE DESPONDENCY reflected in the comment can be applied more
> generally. The destruction of the World Trade Center and the attack
> on the Pentagon comes at a delicate time in the evolution of the
> technologies of surveillance and privacy. In the aftermath of
> September 11, 2001, our attitude toward these tools may well take a
> turn that has profound implications for the way individuals are
> monitored and tracked, for decades to come.
>
> [...]

I was scared. Petrified. Because (x) hearing voices isn't like
catching a cold, you can't get rid of it with lemmon tea (y)
it's inside, it is not some naevus, an epidermal blemish you
can cover up or cauterise (z) I had no control over it. It was
there of its own volition, just stopped in and (zz) I was going
bananas.
-Tibor Fischer ``The Thought Gang"

====================[ CORE Security Technologies ]==================
Ariel Waissbein
Researcher - Corelabs

Pgp Fingerprint: 8D5E 46CC A6DA C46F 1EBC  C3D3 210A 37F0 8A47 76AA

email :  ariel_waissbein at corest.com
http://www.corest.com

This eMail and any files attached to it are confidential and intended
solely
for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If
you
are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering
the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in
error and that any use is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
email in error, please notify Core Security Technologies by reply email
or
dial (54 11) 4878-CORE (2673), and delete the material from any
computer.
Thank you.