[PGP-USERS] Another Flaw in PGP found.

Heyman, Michael Michael_Heyman at NAI.com
Tue Sep 4 12:02:21 EDT 2001

See <http://www.pgp.com/support/product-advisories/pgpsdk.asp>

  A vulnerability in PGP's display of key validity has been discovered
  that could allow an attacker to fool users into thinking that a valid
  signature was created by what is actually an invalid user ID. If the
  attacker can obtain a signature on their key from a trusted third
  party, they can then add a second user ID to their key which is
  unsigned. The attacker must then switch the unsigned false user ID to
  primary and convince the victim to place the key on their keyring. In
  such a case, some of the displays in PGP do not properly identify the
  false user ID as invalid because the second user ID is fully valid.
  Whenever PGP displays validity information on a per-user ID basis,
  the display is correct. Thus, attentive users who examine the user
  IDs of all public keys which they import to their keyrings will
  immediately notice this problem before it could have any impact.

  This issue was discovered and reported to Network Associates/PGP
  Security, Inc. by Sieuwert van Otterloo.

Automated Help/Info: <mailto:pgp-users-listbot at cryptorights.org?body=help>
List Homepage: <http://cryptorights.org/pgp-users/>
List Admin (human): <mailto:pgp-users-admin-human at cryptorights.org>
Please do not send administrative commands to the list address!  Thanks.

--- end forwarded text

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA