Anonymous Credit

Hadmut Danisch hadmut at danisch.de
Sat Sep 1 17:43:03 EDT 2001

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 09:13:32PM +0100, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Just thought I should point out that recycling an old idea allows
> researchers to publish stuff anonymously that could be illegal under
> DMCA (or other ridiculous legislation) and still get the credit when the
> world comes to its senses. The formula is simple: create a PGP key and
> sign the publication. Publish anonymously (or pseudonymously, if you
> prefer) in the usual way (carefully, please!). Once it becomes legal to
> claim the credit, prove you have the corresponding private key, and
> there you are.

What does me keep from catching the message,
stripping off the signature, add a new
signature with my own (secret, freshly created) key but with an older
date, publish it with my signature, and later claim to be the
author?

Hadmut

[Use a digital timestamping service. Or just publish a hash of the
message plus a secret only you know in the newspaper. --Perry]